Yes! CROSS Systems, Inc. is happy to connect to your desktop and assist you with installation of the CROSS Library 1.7 software or just to help you resolve any technical issues you may encounter with our software on your computer.
To have CROSS support personnel assist you: You may call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 2 for support during the menu) while at your computer. Or, if you would like, you may call us to schedule a time for the assistance session.
When you call for assistance, we will ask you to use the following button to run the Remote Assistance software on your computer.
You will need to:
1. Click the downloaded to Open (or Run) the TeamViewer software when the download is complete.
2. Then, select Accept or Yes, as prompted, to allow Windows to launch the program.
3. You will be presented a disclaimer. If you accept that, you may call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 2 for support) and give us your 9-digit id and 6-digit password that is displayed on the screen.) We will need to know the nature of the problem or your specific questions when you call. We are glad to make your life easier by handling installation and configuration of our software!
I cannot get Mint to match entries as in Windows (where you type the first portion of matching letters and the entry gets matched in the list as you type.
KNOWN ISSUE: SUBJECTS Dropdown typing/lookup behavior is different (Windows vs. Mint drop-downs lookup) — AUTHOR, PUBLISHER, MEDIA TYPE, CLASSIFICATION are unaffected–in these fields, just type a portion of the name and press the down-arrow to select the matched entry, and press Tab to move to the next field.
–Windows: SUBJECTS does whole-value matching as you type
–Mint: SUBJECTS does ‘First letter matching only’ (You may keep pressing first letter to review/match next or, follow the directions below to get the expected result.)
A: The following can get you the expected result in SUBJECTS:
a) Our View List function provides the expected result (On the Subjects field, press Ctrl-W, then press V for (View List), then type directly as you did in Windows and press enter when done, if your desired entry is not shown, click Ctrl-W and press A to add the new entry.)
NOTE: This works in both Windows and Mint in exactly the same way.
b) IN-PROGRESS: CROSS is Researching WINE / Mint adjustments or alternate code libraries to provide the exact same experience as Windows 10, if possible.
We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you call 1-877-615-7230 to verify your status before you begin (you will hear your subscription status if your phone is in our system. If your CROSS Library Subscription has expired, you will need to renew your subscription here first: CROSS Library Subscription
It is helpful to locate your ‘System Type’ and Windows version.
You can use the following steps to locate this info or call us at 1-877-615-7230 (2 for Support), and we can help you find it. Try the instructions below that match what you think is your version of Windows. The Edition information you find will verify the actual version of Windows. If you have trouble the first time, try the other set of instructions:
- Right-click on your Start button (located in the lower-left hand corner of your screen).
- Select System on the menu that comes up. (If you see a ‘Settings’ Gear, click on that, then click System.)
- Locate About and click it. You should be able to see your System Type under Device specifications and your Edition under Windows specifications. If your System Type is 64-bit operating system, click here for the correct install procedure for your system. (Note: The ‘processor’ doesn’t matter–the ‘System Type’ is the important value.)
Windows XP, Vista and 7:
- Click on your Start button (located in the lower-left hand corner of your screen).
- Click on Control Panel (right-side of the menu usually a few items up from the bottom of the menu)
- Click on System or System and Security
- If you see System again, click on that
- You should be able to see your System Type under the System section and your Windows edition near the top of the window. If your System Type is 64-bit operating system, click here for the correct install procedure for your system. (Note: The ‘processor’ doesn’t matter–the ‘System Type’ is the important value.)
If your system is shown as 32-bit operating system, we recommend that you call us at 1-877-615-7230 (2 for installation support) to ensure everything gets installed correctly on your system. We will verify your system type and install using the latest CROSS Library download and install instructions AT THIS LINK (32-bit Windows only).
If you have any questions or would like us to do the installation, feel free to give us a call for support at: 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 during the menu.
Hi, welcome to our Mint online support. We hope you can find as many of the most common answers to your technical questions here as possible. Feel free to scroll through the questions and answers on this page if you are looking for solutions. You may click on each question to drop down the answer. We plan to continue to update, refine, and add more to this site to improve our information to you and keep you up-to-date with our current status on issues or questions as they arise.
If you cannot find what you are looking for here, you may reach us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 to get assistance. If we are unable to take your call, please leave a message, and we will return your call as soon as we can to assist you with your specific need.
We recommend that you make a backup of your database(s) using the File/Backup/To Internet… function in the Library 1.7 as soon as you have installed or updated the software.
This lets you know that everything is working as it should and gives you a good backup before you continue using the system.
If you have not downloaded and installed yet, you may do so here.
We provide installation help with your purchase or renewal of your CROSS Library Subscription.
If you have any questions or would like us to do the installation, feel free to call support at: 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for assistance.
I am having trouble with an update (installed between March 24th, 2017 and May 2018). What can I do? (Solution)
What is the CROSS Library Subscription?
The CROSS Library Subscription is what we previously called the ‘Library 1.7 Technical Support and Updates Policy’.
The basics are summarized below.
The reason we made the change of name is that this service now covers more than just updates and support. This will continue to be the case as we continue to develop more services that are hosted on our network of servers. Our goal is to provide services that do much more than you could do yourself at a lower cost point and in a much-easier manner than possible by leveraging the technology we have at our disposal. The CROSS Library Subscription is available in the following formats at this time:
a) 1-Year Subscription (Prepaid annual plan)
This annual prepaid plan provides the following benefits for one year:
–Installation, updates, and support via internet remote access
–Software Updates, (as they are released) of new CROSS Library features and improvements. Note: These updates are only available under the CROSS Library Subscription and are downloadable via the internet. You are notified about these updates through our CROSS Library Helper icon in your system tray (down by the date/time display on the desktop) or via email.
–Internet Backup of Library database to CROSS servers using our managed backup service providing support for up to 9 levels of backup for EACH database you have. Note: This feature is ONLY available under a valid CROSS Library Subscription. You need to use the ‘File/Backup .L17 File/To Internet…’ option in the software to upload these backups to our system.
–Phone and email support as needed.
b) 2-Year Subscription (Prepaid at our lowest rate in 2019!)
…features are same as listed above
We recommend that you order online at crosslibrary.com/renewal, and we will process your renewal and contact you to update your software. You may also call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 1 for Sales during the menu).
What Versions of Windows work with CROSS Library Mint?
CROSS Library Mint works well with all versions of 64-bit Windows:
-NEW! (Updated 2019)–ALL 64-bit systems are being supported via our CROSS Library Mint download (BEST)
-ALL systems (any 64-bit Windows, Apple, or Linux that support VirtualBox) using our new 2019 CROSS Library Mint download!! Everything you need is provided on our download site crosslibrary.com/download
-Windows 64-bit (all editions) — If your Windows 10 system is 64-bit, see this post for our recommended installation instructions. We provide the pre-installed environment, and it gets you compatibility with an easy solution.
(The above includes Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows 2008 Server! Unless otherwise noted below, CROSS supports the above download as the best install method at this time.)
NOTE: CROSS Library runs on ALL 64-bit versions of Windows at this time via our 2019 update to CROSS Library Mint. CROSS Systems, Inc. support personnel are happy to assist you with upgrading CROSS Library Mint onto any system. This process has become easier in recent months, and it is much improved since Jan 2019. You may call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for a recommendation on your specific system.
If you are not sure if the Windows on a computer is 64-bit or not, try doing this to find out:
1. Click on “Computer” on any Vista or Windows 7 system
2. Then click on “System Properties”
3. Look under the “System” section for “System Type” This will indicate if your system is 64-bit or 32-bit.
Click here for our Windows Compatibility Details and how to install onto 64-bit Windows…
Currently, the best way to do this is to print the reports you wish to list on your website using a PDF Printer.
We have included a free PDF Printer in our installers as of July 2012.
Just, print whatever reports you consider best to show your holdings using that printer.
(You can select the printer in Library 1.7 when printing.)
Then, follow the steps of creating the report as a file which you then can post to your website for others to view. You will be prompted to specify a file name for each report. Be sure to specify unique names so that you to not overwrite any other reports.
Eventually, we are planning to have a fully-automated method which you will be able to link to from your website.
This will be announced to all of our customers when it’s ready for use.
How to find a computer compatible with CROSS Library?
Nearly all computers shipping from retailers ship with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed.
BEST SOLUTION: If you just purchased a new Windows 10 system, see this post for our recommended installation instructions. We provide the pre-installed environment, and it gets you compatibility with an easy solution.
A 32-bit Windows environment is currently required in order to run CROSS Library 1.7.
This is due to the structure of the Library 1.7 software. We are continuing to work on an update to remove this restriction. In simple terms, we will be replacing Library 1.7 with a new system.
Check out the options below for more possible options. Each solution below offers a good solution depending on your budget, committee recommendations, etc. We will list our recommended options first followed by the less recommended options.
Note: We have recently updated these suggestions to reflect pricing and compatibility changes in the industry.
–We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that everyone who can do so should move to Windows 10. If you have 8GB of RAM on your new system, we can use the ‘BEST SOLUTION’ above to install CROSS Library and get you up and running quickly.
–Another easy option is if you can purchase a Windows 10 system from us at this link which comes with CROSS Library preinstalled and configured. This is a simple option because we pre-install CROSS Library and configure Windows 10 for you without any effort required on your part.
–(no longer recommended as of October 2018) Gen 7 systems or earlier: If you purchase a Windows 10 system from a retailer, you will likely get Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled on it, you will need to activate it and then we can help you do a clean reinstall using the 32-bit edition. Click here for detailed instructions to reinstall 64-bit Windows 10 to 32-bit. We can assist you in reinstalling to 32-bit Windows if your CROSS Library Subscription is current.
–We recommend that you avoid Windows 7 Starter edition.
1. RECOMMENDED: Any new laptop or desktop with Windows 10 and at least 8GB of RAM. (The portability of the laptop can be an advantage for installation and updates especially if your library does not have internet access available.) We can install the CROSS Library VM which provides quick and easy support for CROSS Library without compatibility hassles.
2. We can upgrade almost any Windows 7, 8, 8.1 system to Windows 10 and then to 32-bit Windows 10, if necessary. So that provides a good upgrade path for many of our customers with existing systems.
3. NO LONGER RECOMMENDED: XP Mode can be used on 64-bit Windows systems until we release our 64-bit support, however we no longer recommend this path as the best option especially for new system purchases.
4. NOT RECOMMENDED: If you want neither a laptop or a netbook, you may consider a desktop system with 32-bit Windows pre-installed. You may be able to find a desktop with 32-bit Windows. You may also specify a 32-bit version of Windows 10 when you order a system from Dell. See http://www.dell.com for more details. NOTE: If you do not have internet at your library, we recommend that you get a laptop instead of a desktop! This will allow you to more-easily move your computer to a internet connection in order to update your software and Windows. The main reason this option is marked as not recommended is that we will need to install CROSS Library and configure your system remotely when you can purchase a new system from us preconfigured and preinstalled as a simpler option.
For CROSS customers who currently have CROSS Library 1.7 installed on an older system (XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 32-bit) version of Windows and need to transition that system into a 64-bit Windows environment, we have a quick and easy way to handle that:
NEW: CROSS Systems, Inc. offers a pre-built environment where you can run CROSS Library. It is a simple fit for your new system, and everything comes ready-to-go. As of January 5, 2019, the download and instructions are found on the main download page.
Use the link above to download, then just call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 when you hear the option for support, and we’ll help you get it installed and running.
- Your CROSS Library Subscription must be current–you can renew it here: crosslibrary.com/renew
- Make sure you have your most-recent backups of your CROSS Library database(s). (Either internet backup or USB memory stick backup is easy to restore on your new system. You can use File/Backup/to Disk or File/Backup/to Internet on your existing system to get the backup made. Call if you have questions or run into trouble, we can almost always help you get a good backup.
That way we can finish it all in a single call making it fast and easy.
What should we do if we have a 64-bit computer?
CROSS Library 1.7 currently requires a 32-bit Windows environment.
NEW as of October 2018: See this post for the BEST option when you are moving to a new computer.
AS OF January 2019: Gen 8 and newer processors are dropping support for CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) / Legacy Mode and have dropped long-term compatibility. This is the best compatibility solution for ALL NEW SYSTEMS–we are supporting this in all environments.
LEGACY METHOD: Gen 7 Intel processors only: Windows 10 has been a good system. Microsoft offers the ability to reinstall to 32-bit. If your system does not have more than 4GB RAM, this is a good choice. We can help you determine which path is best if you call us and press 2 for support. While reinstalling Windows is available, at this time, we are finding it best to just install CROSS Library Mint which we are supporting in all environments.
If needed, we can assist you in reinstalling to 32-bit Windows if your CROSS Library Subscription is current. Click here for details how to reinstall 64-bit Windows 10 to 32-bit
LEGACY: XP Mode (no longer recommended) If you already have a computer with XP Mode, See this link for our recommended upgrade. If XP Mode is what you need, we can help you with this as well, please call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for assistance. Note: While CROSS Systems, Inc. does support the installation and configuration of ‘XP Mode’ on Windows 7 64-bit if your particular system supports this, we have had good results upgrading Windows 7 customers to our new CROSS Library Mint.
If you are upgrading from an existing system with CROSS Library 1.7 installed on it to a new Windows 10 system you purchased, it is best to carry your data over to our new ‘Mint’ system which we can install onto your system using the instructions here. (See this link for details.)