Please see our installation requirements and before using the steps listed below.
We are more than happy to handle the installation and configuration process for you. This normally results in a simpler process for you, and we can optimize your system, install the latest Windows Updates, and generally tune your system to work better for you overall. Give us a call at 1-877-615-9541.
1. See our Current Windows Compatibility Requirement Details
2. You will need to have a current CROSS Library Subscription in order to download and install the latest version. If your subscription has lapsed, you may order the CROSS Library Subscription (1 Year) at our Secure Online Store
NOTE: Your user account must have administrative authority (or be able to elevate) in order to do the following steps. This means that you might need your administrative password (for Vista and newer versions of Windows).
1. Save the Current CROSS Library Installer to your desktop. When the download completes, you need to Run (or Open) depending on your internet browser prompt. You must allow it to run. You will need to click the “Install” button on two install wizards during the process.
2. (optional) FIREWALL CHECK: Your Windows Firewall should be enabled during installation. Other firewalls should be turned off. (Details: If you have any firewall software installed OTHER THAN the Windows Firewall, you should usually disable those and re-enable the Windows Firewall using the Windows Firewall icon in Control Panel. (Having another firewall enabled can cause our installers to fail as our installer cannot configure all of the various firewalls correctly. Our installer is designed to correctly register itself into the Windows Firewall.) Some firewall software will play nice with applications and will allow you to ‘Always Allow’ or ‘Remember the setting’ when you click ‘Allow’, etc. These options should be sufficient to allow our software to operate normally.)
Note: The installation process may take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes depending on your system and various factors–please be patient. At times a prompt may hide behind the install wizard. You may wish to minimize the install wizard window in order to check for that possibility. You will be prompted to select ‘Single Computer / Client Mode’ or ‘Network Mode’ IMPORTANT: ONLY ‘Single Computer‘ mode is supported at this time. If you click ‘Network Mode’, you will need to reinstall again in order to repair the setting.
3. (Optional: Usually needed when moving from another computer) You may need to restore a backup from a FlashDrive or your Internet account. You may do so using ‘File/Restore .L17 file/from Disk…’ or ‘File/Restore .L17 file/from Internet…’
4. (First time users only) CREATE A NEW DATABASE
Note: If you are a first-time user, you must use ‘File/New (Library Database)’ option on the Library 1.7 menu bar to create your first database.
You may enter the name of your library when prompted. This name displays on reports, book labels, as well as on the main screen of the software.
Please keep the default file name shown on your screen. There is no need to change that field. When you click OK, the new database is created, and you may enter your first record–even if it is a test record.
5. (Important) With your main database open, configure the default database by clicking ‘Help/Web Links/Use this as the default database’
6. (Optional: Needed if other users on this computer need to access the CROSS Library software) You may grant rights to any other Windows User Accounts that need access to CROSS Library on this computer using the ‘CROSS Library Helper’ cube-like icon in the System Tray (Notification Area) where the date and time are usually displayed. Right-click the ‘CROSS Library Helper’ icon, select ‘Admin/Advanced/Grant Required Access for Windows Limited User Accounts’ and wait for the system to display the prompt. It normally takes from 5 to 20 seconds, so be patient. When the screen displays, enter one user name and click OK to configure that user. Wait for the SUCCESS prompt. Repeat this process for each user that needs access.
7. If everything seems to be working fine, we recommend that you delete the installer that you downloaded in Step #1. You will want to download the latest installer from our website if you reinstall at a later date. This allows you to pick up all of our improvements, compatibility updates, etc. that we have made during the meantime.
8: (Optional) CONFIGURE LIBRARY 1.7 TO NOT AUTO-LAUNCH AT STARTUP, IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO OPEN IT MANUALLY WHEN NEEDED. (In Windows 10, right-click the taskbar, select Task Manager, click on the Startup tab, and set CROSS Library to DISABLED. This is currently the recommended setting for Windows 10 at this time due to a lack of permissions granted by Windows 10 at startup when launching our current version. Our next update will resolve this issue. Note: You will need to open CROSS Library using a shortcut after your system starts.)
How to disable auto launching at startup, if desired.
Questions and answers
Note: We automatically uninstall any Java versions currently installed on your system.
Q: Why is this important?
A: When installing CROSS Library, we currently recommend that you uninstall ANY PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED Java versions to avoid Java version conflicts. We have started doing this automatically as of December 2017.
(This especially concerns newer versions of Java (especially Java 8 releases) which override any Java we deploy in our installer package. All of our testing is done using the specific Java version we deploy, and at this time we cannot guarantee stability if other Java versions are present on the system.) Uninstalling older Java versions reduces the possibility of previously-installed CROSS software from interfering with our current version of the software. Removing multiple versions of Java saves disk space on your computer and helps your computer to run faster.
While we do not recommend it, you may reinstall Java IF you need it for other software applications on your system. Normally, this will not impact the ‘normal usage’ of CROSS Library in a negative way.
** The most important thing to remember is that all Java versions will be uninstalled each time you reinstall CROSS Library. We remove all Java versions because our installers are often impacted by these conflicting versions of Java.
(Information and links beyond this point should not be used except by CROSS Support Personnel):
Manual Link for Installing Microsoft Windows Service Packs:
If you have trouble installing or updating Java, we have found that at times this helps. Error 1714 often results due to (un)installer registry keys getting misconfigured relating to Java (in this case). The following utility is from Microsoft to help you resolve these issues. We recommend the automatic detection resolution method found in the following utility.
Microsoft Install / Uninstall Repair Utility
NOTE: If you use the manual mode in the above utility, you will need to select whether you are having an Install or Uninstall problem, then select the Software package with difficulty (Java in this case), and take the defaults from there.