Yes! CROSS Systems, Inc. is happy to connect to your desktop and assist you with installation of the CROSS Library 1.7 software or just to help you resolve any technical issues you may encounter with our software on your computer.
To have CROSS support personnel assist you: You may call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 2 for support during the menu) while at your computer. Or, if you would like, you may call us to schedule a time for the assistance session.
When you call for assistance, we will ask you to use the following button to run the Remote Assistance software on your computer.
You will need to:
1. Click the downloaded to Open (or Run) the TeamViewer software when the download is complete.
2. Then, select Accept or Yes, as prompted, to allow Windows to launch the program.
3. You will be presented a disclaimer. If you accept that, you may call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 2 for support) and give us your 9-digit id and 6-digit password that is displayed on the screen.) We will need to know the nature of the problem or your specific questions when you call. We are glad to make your life easier by handling installation and configuration of our software!
We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you call 1-877-615-7230 to verify your status before you begin (you will hear your subscription status if your phone is in our system. If your CROSS Library Subscription has expired, you will need to renew your subscription here first: CROSS Library Subscription
It is helpful to locate your ‘System Type’ and Windows version.
You can use the following steps to locate this info or call us at 1-877-615-7230 (2 for Support), and we can help you find it. Try the instructions below that match what you think is your version of Windows. The Edition information you find will verify the actual version of Windows. If you have trouble the first time, try the other set of instructions:
- Right-click on your Start button (located in the lower-left hand corner of your screen).
- Select System on the menu that comes up. (If you see a ‘Settings’ Gear, click on that, then click System.)
- Locate About and click it. You should be able to see your System Type under Device specifications and your Edition under Windows specifications. If your System Type is 64-bit operating system, click here for the correct install procedure for your system. (Note: The ‘processor’ doesn’t matter–the ‘System Type’ is the important value.)
Windows XP, Vista and 7:
- Click on your Start button (located in the lower-left hand corner of your screen).
- Click on Control Panel (right-side of the menu usually a few items up from the bottom of the menu)
- Click on System or System and Security
- If you see System again, click on that
- You should be able to see your System Type under the System section and your Windows edition near the top of the window. If your System Type is 64-bit operating system, click here for the correct install procedure for your system. (Note: The ‘processor’ doesn’t matter–the ‘System Type’ is the important value.)
If your system is shown as 32-bit operating system, we recommend that you call us at 1-877-615-7230 (2 for installation support) to ensure everything gets installed correctly on your system. We will verify your system type and install using the latest CROSS Library download and install instructions AT THIS LINK (32-bit Windows only).
If you have any questions or would like us to do the installation, feel free to give us a call for support at: 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 during the menu.
Hi, welcome to our online technical support center. We hope you can find as many of the most common answers to your technical questions here as possible. Feel free to scroll through the questions and answers on this page if you are looking for solutions. You may click on each question to drop down the answer. We plan to continue to update, refine, and add more to this site to improve our information to you and keep you up-to-date with our current status on issues or questions as they arise.
If you cannot find what you are looking for here, you may reach us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 to get assistance. If we are unable to take your call, please leave a message, and we will return your call as soon as we can to assist you with your specific need.
We recommend that you make a backup of your database(s) using the File/Backup/To Internet… function in the Library 1.7 as soon as you have installed or updated the software.
This lets you know that everything is working as it should and gives you a good backup before you continue using the system.
If you have not downloaded and installed yet, you may do so here.
We provide installation help with your purchase or renewal of your CROSS Library Subscription.
If you have any questions or would like us to do the installation, feel free to call support at: 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for assistance.
I am having trouble with an update (installed between March 24th, 2017 and May 2018). What can I do? (Solution)
Our installer was missing a few files during that time period. It is highly recommended to reinstall using the steps here. Be sure to run the POST-INSTALL SCRIPT so that CROSS Library functions as expected.
The CROSS Library Subscription is what we previously called the ‘Library 1.7 Technical Support and Updates Policy’.
The basics are summarized below.
The reason we made the change of name is that this service now covers more than just updates and support. This will continue to be the case as we continue to develop more services that are hosted on our network of servers. Our goal is to provide services that do much more than you could do yourself at a lower cost point and in a much-easier manner than possible by leveraging the technology we have at our disposal. The CROSS Library Subscription is available in the following formats at this time:
a) 1-Year Subscription (Prepaid annual plan)
This annual prepaid plan provides the following benefits for one year:
–Installation, updates, and support via internet remote access
–Software Updates, (as they are released) of new CROSS Library features and improvements. Note: These updates are only available under the CROSS Library Subscription and are downloadable via the internet. You are notified about these updates through our CROSS Library Helper icon in your system tray (down by the date/time display on the desktop) or via email.
–Internet Backup of Library database to CROSS servers using our managed backup service providing support for up to 9 levels of backup for EACH database you have. Note: This feature is ONLY available under a valid CROSS Library Subscription. You need to use the ‘File/Backup .L17 File/To Internet…’ option in the software to upload these backups to our system.
–Phone and email support as needed.
b) 2-Year Subscription (Prepaid at our lowest rate in 2019!)
…features are same as listed above
We recommend that you order online at crosslibrary.com/renewal, and we will process your renewal and contact you to update your software. You may also call us at 1-877-615-7230 (press 1 for Sales during the menu).
Q: I am having trouble accessing some CROSS website links and/or services (including: internet backups, internet restores, database rebuilds, or installation). What can I do to fix this?
A: You may want to give us a call for assistance or advice. Connectivity issues can be difficult to resolve. Be advised that if an issue extends beyond a few hours to maximum of a couple of days, you are most-likely looking at a configuration problem inside your network (most-likely your router’s firewall settings are incorrect or too tight). It is also possible that your provider may be filtering your web requests for you as a part of a security service or security suite which they provide for you. These are in addition to any firewall protection or web shields you may have installed on your computer(s).
Router configuration issues:
If you get too excited with security especially when locking your systems down tight, you may accidentally clamp things down too tightly causing issues with various software packages including CROSS Library.
If your router’s Firewall Security Level is set too high, you may need to define special port triggering rules to allow software to operate as-desired (including CROSS Library).
If you are experiencing trouble with our sites or services, we recommend:
a) EITHER set your router’s firewall security settings to ‘Minimum Security (Low)’, OR
b) define “port triggering” settings as described below (to operate at Medium or High security settings) using the 23 steps listed below:
The following instructions are intended specifically for the router models listed below.
You may be able to follow the general instructions for other routers, however, we cannot provide any guarantee on router configuration. If you have any questions, it is best to talk with a technical person who is familiar with router configuration.
-NetGear 7550 routers
-Westell 7500 series routers (or equivalents)
CROSS software requires these ports to be open (outgoing) to our java.crosslibrary.com hosts for TCP protocol using port triggering for dynamic hosts on your local network: 80, 2001-2100, 8800-9100
If you have one of the routers listed above and you are experiencing trouble with our sites or services, you may create rules to allow the necessary traffic using port triggering, as follows:
1. Login on your router (ie. open 192.168.1.1 or whatever your local router address is)
2. Provide User and Password to modify settings.
3. Click on Firewall Settings.
4. Click on Port Forwarding.
5. Click “Add” link in the list area of the window.
6. Select “Dynamic” and click the “Create” button to create a New Rule
7. First, click on the “Port Triggering” option
8. Then, type the name for the service as “CROSS Port 80″
9. Enter 80 as “Global Port Start” and 80 as “Global Port End” with “Local Port Start” as 1 and “Local Port End” as 65535
10. Use “tcp” for both IncomingProtocol and OutGoingProtocol
11. Click the “Apply” button (This should both create a new rule AND activate it!)
12. Select “Dynamic” and click the “Create” button to create a New Rule
13. First, click on the “Port Triggering” option
14. Then, type the name for the service as “CROSS Port 2001-2100″
15. Enter 2001 as “Global Port Start” and 2100 as “Global Port End” with “Local Port Start” as 1 and “Local Port End” as 65535
16. Use “tcp” for both IncomingProtocol and OutGoingProtocol
17. Click the “Apply” button (This should both create a new rule AND activate it!)
18. Select “Dynamic” and click the “Create” button to create a New Rule
19. First, click on the “Port Triggering” option
20. Then, type the name for the service as “CROSS Port 8800-9100″
21. Enter 8800 as “Global Port Start” and 9100 as “Global Port End” with “Local Port Start” as 1 and “Local Port End” as 65535
22. Use “tcp” for both IncomingProtocol and OutGoingProtocol
23. Click the “Apply” button (This should both create a new rule AND activate it!)
If you find that the instructions for your router is significantly different, send us your instructions along with your router brand and model#, and we can include them here for the benefit of others.
You may uninstall CROSS Library 1.7 using the ‘Programs and Features’ (or ‘Add or Remove Programs’) applet found in Control Panel.
The only special instructions regarding uninstalling are regarding the C:\CROSSL17 program folder:
This folder is retained during an uninstall in order to preserve your databases which reside there by default.
If you wish to copy your databases, you only need to copy the files that have a .L17 file extension found directly under the C:\CROSSL17 folder.
You may copy them even after uninstalling.
If you wish to simply uninstall and you are sure you do not need to keep a copy of your database, you may delete the C:\CROSSL17 folder.
NOTE: The files found in the PREDBRBL folder are automatic backups made by our system during processing. Do not use these files directly. If you need more information, please call support at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for more information. We may be able to help you recover from those automatic backups, if you need to do so. You will not normally need those files.
Q: How do I download Library 1.7 to a FlashDrive? NOTE: Download to FlashDrive does not currently work due to issues with our OFFLINE INSTALLER. The answer below will be updated after we release an update for the OFFLINE INSTALLER. During the interim, please connect your computer to some type of internet connection during installation. Then, proceed to get all of the available Windows Updates followed by our software updates. If your computer is not usually connected to the internet, we advise that you also make an Internet Backup of your database(s) after you have updated the CROSS Library software.—-A: After you have installed Library 1.7 onto a computer with internet, follow the steps below to transfer the software to a FlashDrive. You may then use the FlashDrive to install onto a computer (such as your library computer) which does not have internet access.PLEASE NOTE: CROSS Systems, Inc. STRONGLY recommends that you have internet on any computer where you will be using CROSS Library software. Internet access is required for some features of CROSS Library products, and this will continue to be the case for MOST IF NOT ALL NEW FEATURES in our software. While this is the case, we recognize the need to use the basic functions of Library 1.7 on computers that do not currently have internet.
Steps to Download Library 1.7 to a FlashDrive:
1. Go to the computer where you have installed CROSS Library from our download link.
2. Locate the “Library 1.7 Helper” icon (down in the system tray by the clock–it looks like a little blue cube-like icon), right-click on that icon, click “Admin” on the menu that pops up, then click on the “Download Library 1.7 to FlashDrive” option.
3. If prompted to enter your customer#, find that in your documents, enter it, and click OK.
4. If prompted to enter your customer license name, find the “Licensed To:” information in your documents, enter it, and click OK. IMPORTANT NOTE: EVERYTHING must be EXACT–including using the correct case and spaces OR IT WILL NOT WORK!
5. Please wait–you will be prompted to REMOVE THE FLASHDRIVE. IF you already have it inserted, remove it and click OK.
6. Please wait–you will be prompted to INSERT THE FLASHDRIVE. Insert it, close any windows that open up automatically, then click OK to continue. The process will attempt to locate the FlashDrive.
7. You will be prompted to verify the drive letter of your FlashDrive. If you click NO, you may be given another possibility to select. If no more new drive letters are found, you will be prompted to remove the FlashDrive and then to re-insert it in order to re-detect the FlashDrive. Once you select the drive letter, you may move on to the next step.
8. PLEASE WAIT — If the process can take some time as it downloads the latest updates, downloads Java and Microsoft ODBC driver updates, etc. The time required for this step varies–if you have done it before, it should be faster the next time as the downloads do not need to be done again.
9. You should notice that your FlashDrive is blinking–this is normal, and it may do this for some time. You will be notified with a message when the process is complete.
10. When you receive the completion message, remove the FlashDrive. (It is ready to use to install onto your computer without internet.)
Anytime you call CROSS with a technical problem on a Windows system, we are likely to verify that you have the latest Windows Updates installed. Our CROSS Library Mint system
NOTE: Windows 10 makes updating quite a bit easier and usually automatic, so you do not normally need to worry about it–it just does everything in the background as your system runs. At times any system can get stuck installing updates. We can help get things going again if you run into this issue.
The reason we ask about updates is that software is built like any building–the foundation affects everything above it. Everything above the foundation depends on the foundation to function properly.
We’ve seen numerous issues cleared up because the underlying software begins to function properly after getting the latest updates. If Microsoft or another software vendor has fixed problems and released those updates to you (through Windows Update or through the vendors update process), you need to download and install them or you are simply struggling with problems that have already been fixed.
While we attempt to make our software as stable as possible, it is impossible for us to know or to fix the many underlying problems in all Operating System or in the software on which Library must depend to function properly.
So, the recommended update procedure to follow is to update everything from the lowest level up.
In most cases (where you are using Windows XP through 7):
1. Install the latest Windows Service Pack (found in Windows Updates) and restart when prompted.
2. Install all of the latest Windows Security and Recommended Updates and restart when prompted.
3. Check again for any more Windows Security and Recommended Updates and restart if prompted.
4. Lastly, update our software from the Latest CROSS Library Install Link
5. Then, if you are having a specific problem, try it again to see if it works properly after you have installed these updates.
Windows Updates include any/all applicable Driver Updates, Service Packs, and any other software update that might affect application software.
Library 1.7 works well with the following versions of Windows at this time:
-NEW! (Updated 2019)–ALL 64-bit systems are being supported via our CROSS Library Mint download (BEST)
-ALL systems (any 64-bit Windows, Apple, or Linux that support VirtualBox) using our new 2019 CROSS Library Mint download!! Everything you need is provided on our download site crosslibrary.com/download
-Windows 64-bit (all editions) — If your Windows 10 system is 64-bit, see this post for our recommended installation instructions. We provide the pre-installed environment, and it gets you compatibility with an easy solution.
(The above includes Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows 2008 Server! Unless otherwise noted below, CROSS supports the above download as the best install method at this time.)
-DIRECT INSTALL SUPPORT: Windows 10 32-bit Home, Professional, Enterprise, Education
-LEGACY 32-bit Windows systems –CROSS offers legacy support for 32-bit editions of Vista, XP, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows 2008 Server, HOWEVER, we recommend that you begin to move in the direction of shopping for newer systems as soon as possible. (Note, CROSS Library Mint may be installed onto most Windows Server systems if necessary. Call if you have questions, and we can verify if your system configuration can support it.)
NOTE: CROSS Library runs on ALL 64-bit versions of Windows at this time via our 2019 update to CROSS Library Mint. CROSS Systems, Inc. support personnel are happy to assist you with upgrading CROSS Library Mint onto any system. This process has become easier in recent months, and it is much improved over the LEGACY METHODS of XP Mode and VMWare which we used in past. You may call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for a recommendation on your specific system. See our Windows Compatibility Details for specifics… We highly recommend purchasing a pre-configured Windows 10 system available from CROSS Systems, Inc. due to the simplicity of this option.
NOTE: If you are purchasing a NEW COMPUTER for use with CROSS Library, consider ‘Windows 10 Home 64-bit’ as a good option at this time. For most systems older than Windows 7, we recommend upgrading to a new computer, if possible.
If you are not sure if the Windows on a computer is 64-bit or not, try doing this to find out:
1. Click on “Computer” on any Vista or Windows 7 system
2. Then click on “System Properties”
3. Look under the “System” section for “System Type” This will indicate if your system is 64-bit or 32-bit.
Click here for our Windows Compatibility Details and how to install onto 64-bit Windows…
Currently, the best way to do this is to print the reports you wish to list on your website using a PDF Printer.
We have included a free PDF Printer in our installers as of July 2012.
Just, print whatever reports you consider best to show your holdings using that printer.
(You can select the printer in Library 1.7 when printing.)
Then, follow the steps of creating the report as a file which you then can post to your website for others to view. You will be prompted to specify a file name for each report. Be sure to specify unique names so that you to not overwrite any other reports.
Eventually, we are planning to have a fully-automated method which you will be able to link to from your website.
This will be announced to all of our customers when it’s ready for use.
How to find a computer compatible with CROSS Library?
Nearly all computers shipping from retailers ship with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed.
BEST SOLUTION: If you just purchased a new Windows 10 system, see this post for our recommended installation instructions. We provide the pre-installed environment, and it gets you compatibility with an easy solution.
A 32-bit Windows environment is currently required in order to run CROSS Library 1.7.
This is due to the structure of the Library 1.7 software. We are continuing to work on an update to remove this restriction. In simple terms, we will be replacing Library 1.7 with a new system.
Check out the options below for more possible options. Each solution below offers a good solution depending on your budget, committee recommendations, etc. We will list our recommended options first followed by the less recommended options.
Note: We have recently updated these suggestions to reflect pricing and compatibility changes in the industry.
–We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that everyone who can do so should move to Windows 10. If you have 8GB of RAM on your new system, we can use the ‘BEST SOLUTION’ above to install CROSS Library and get you up and running quickly.
–Another easy option is if you can purchase a Windows 10 system from us at this link which comes with CROSS Library preinstalled and configured. This is a simple option because we pre-install CROSS Library and configure Windows 10 for you without any effort required on your part.
–(no longer recommended as of October 2018) Gen 7 systems or earlier: If you purchase a Windows 10 system from a retailer, you will likely get Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled on it, you will need to activate it and then we can help you do a clean reinstall using the 32-bit edition. Click here for detailed instructions to reinstall 64-bit Windows 10 to 32-bit. We can assist you in reinstalling to 32-bit Windows if your CROSS Library Subscription is current.
–We recommend that you avoid Windows 7 Starter edition.
1. RECOMMENDED: Any new laptop or desktop with Windows 10 and at least 8GB of RAM. (The portability of the laptop can be an advantage for installation and updates especially if your library does not have internet access available.) We can install the CROSS Library VM which provides quick and easy support for CROSS Library without compatibility hassles.
2. We can upgrade almost any Windows 7, 8, 8.1 system to Windows 10 and then to 32-bit Windows 10, if necessary. So that provides a good upgrade path for many of our customers with existing systems.
3. NO LONGER RECOMMENDED: XP Mode can be used on 64-bit Windows systems until we release our 64-bit support, however we no longer recommend this path as the best option especially for new system purchases.
4. NOT RECOMMENDED: If you want neither a laptop or a netbook, you may consider a desktop system with 32-bit Windows pre-installed. You may be able to find a desktop with 32-bit Windows. You may also specify a 32-bit version of Windows 10 when you order a system from Dell. See http://www.dell.com for more details. NOTE: If you do not have internet at your library, we recommend that you get a laptop instead of a desktop! This will allow you to more-easily move your computer to a internet connection in order to update your software and Windows. The main reason this option is marked as not recommended is that we will need to install CROSS Library and configure your system remotely when you can purchase a new system from us preconfigured and preinstalled as a simpler option.
For CROSS customers who currently have CROSS Library 1.7 installed on an older system (XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 32-bit) version of Windows and need to transition that system into a 64-bit Windows environment, we have a quick and easy way to handle that:
NEW: CROSS Systems, Inc. offers a pre-built environment where you can run CROSS Library. It is a simple fit for your new system, and everything comes ready-to-go. As of January 5, 2019, the download and instructions are found on the main download page.
Use the link above to download, then just call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 when you hear the option for support, and we’ll help you get it installed and running.
- Your CROSS Library Subscription must be current–you can renew it here: crosslibrary.com/renew
- Make sure you have your most-recent backups of your CROSS Library database(s). (Either internet backup or USB memory stick backup is easy to restore on your new system. You can use File/Backup/to Disk or File/Backup/to Internet on your existing system to get the backup made. Call if you have questions or run into trouble, we can almost always help you get a good backup.
That way we can finish it all in a single call making it fast and easy.
What should we do if we have a 64-bit computer?
CROSS Library 1.7 currently requires a 32-bit Windows environment.
NEW as of October 2018: See this post for the BEST option when you are moving to a new computer.
AS OF January 2019: Gen 8 and newer processors are dropping support for CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) / Legacy Mode and have dropped long-term compatibility. This is the best compatibility solution for ALL NEW SYSTEMS–we are supporting this in all environments.
LEGACY METHOD: Gen 7 Intel processors only: Windows 10 has been a good system. Microsoft offers the ability to reinstall to 32-bit. If your system does not have more than 4GB RAM, this is a good choice. We can help you determine which path is best if you call us and press 2 for support. While reinstalling Windows is available, at this time, we are finding it best to just install CROSS Library Mint which we are supporting in all environments.
If needed, we can assist you in reinstalling to 32-bit Windows if your CROSS Library Subscription is current. Click here for details how to reinstall 64-bit Windows 10 to 32-bit
LEGACY: XP Mode (no longer recommended) If you already have a computer with XP Mode, See this link for our recommended upgrade. If XP Mode is what you need, we can help you with this as well, please call us at 1-877-615-7230 and press 2 for assistance. Note: While CROSS Systems, Inc. does support the installation and configuration of ‘XP Mode’ on Windows 7 64-bit if your particular system supports this, we have had good results upgrading Windows 7 customers to our new CROSS Library Mint.
If you are upgrading from an existing system with CROSS Library 1.7 installed on it to a new Windows 10 system you purchased, it is best to carry your data over to our new ‘Mint’ system which we can install onto your system using the instructions here. (See this link for details.)